Saturday, June 18, 2005

Oh, Simon.

Simon did something tonight that I think is definitely blogworthy. There's a bit of a backstory, so please bear with me.

This year for Christmas I bought Simon a huge stuffed cow (for a mere $7 at Dollar General, no less) to use as a seat in my room. Up until that point he insisted on sitting under my desk while I was at the computer and I was always afraid my half-assed "extension cord into power strip into extension cord" fire-hazard set up was going to result in an untimely "crisping" of Dear Simon. I went through a point where I was bringing his bed from the living room up and down the stairs all the time, which was annoying. I figured the cow would not only solve this problem, but also be a charming addition to the room.

Well, to say the least, the cow bed (aptly named "New Cow Bed," later shortened to "New Cow") was a hit. I won't get into the specifics because, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words:




If he needed a nap, she was there...



And more importantly, in the event of a "no-no," she was always there to blame...


"New Cow did it."

In short, Simon loves New Cow. Over the months, however, New Cow has taken a bit of a beating. Simon (like most dogs) has to incessantly scratch and spin around 100 times in a spot before he actually gets comfortable, and New Cow was no exception. Before long, not only was she as flat as a board, but she was starting to rip slightly up the back along the seam, and again up by her neck. No worries though, Simon didn't seem to notice.

Well, about an hour ago, I was sitting here browsing the Duran Duran forums (like any extra cool person does on a Friday night) with Simon on the floor next to my chair, lying on New Cow. At some point I noticed him scratching and I hear a ripping sound. I look down, and much to my surprise, Simon is jamming his nose up into the seam along New Cow's neck, trying to get his head under her head... essentially to use it as a blanket... and nearly decapitating her in the process. He didn't quite get her head completely off, but he did reach his goal of a warm head. Like I said... A picture is worth 1000 words:



It looks even funnier like this...



If you ever wondered what your dog would look like if it happened to be born with a giant stuffed cow's head instead of its own, there's your answer.

He still hasn't moved from that position.

I'm guessing by the end of the week, New Cow will be no more. I guess that's what you get for $7.

No comments: