Thursday, July 07, 2005

Shocked, Appalled, Devastated

"Half a dozen explosions rocked the London subway and tore open a packed double-decker bus during the morning rush hour Thursday. The blasts killed at least two people and injured scores in what a shaken Prime Minister Tony Blair said was a series of "barbaric" terrorist attacks."

Words cannot express what a complete state of absolute shock I'm in right now. I'm just devastated. For those of you who know me, you know that London is my home away from home; the place in this world that is most near and dear to my heart. Some of my best friends in the world live there, and one of the people who is most important to me travels via Liverpool Street every day. Today is his birthday.

I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone yet, and it seems like 9/11 all over again.

Perhaps what is most appalling to me though, is the fact that when 9/11 happened, every tv network shoved coverage around the clock... no commercials or anything. NBC, ABC, CBS, MTV, VH1... all of them. I was just watching television now and it seemed almost like a passing thought!!

"Oh yeah, and London was like bombed or something."

Can we show a little respect? It may not have happened in our country, thus 99% of Americans won't likely give a shit, but I think the least we can do is refrain from advertising that War of the Worlds is the number one film in the country in between news segments. That makes me sick.

I hate the American media sometimes.

No comments: