Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Did You Miss Me?

No? Fair enough. Either way, I'm officially back folks, and oh what an absence it's been!! In the last two weeks, I've worked for Kelly Clarkson, partied with Duran Duran, lost my camera, got it back, worked for Kelly a little more, lost my cellphone, got it back, worked for a few other people, managed not to lose anything more, saw David Gray in concert, and even somewhat conquered my fear of driving. It was one of the best half-a-months I've had in a long while, and I needed it! I do have to admit to missing the blogging a bit (which is incredibly sad, but whatever!) but I am back with a vengeance. Expect some non-stop posting over the next few days!

First things first: Kelly Clarkson. Say what you want about her and American Idol, but this bitch puts on a killer show! She does most of the show barefoot, which is sort of cool in an "at least it's not in a public bathroom" sort of way.

I also have to give her props on the way she kind of doesn't give a shit while she's on stage. She forgets her own words now and again and rather than blaming it on acid reflux or something, she just says stuff like "Ha... can't even remember my own words" and keeps on singing. One night she stopped the show entirely so she could go change, because her clasp on her dress broke and, in her own words "Believe me, you do not want to see my butt. I have a BIG butt."

The night of her AC show also happened to be her mom's birthday, and I have to say the cake was one of the coolest I've seen. I was so praying the person walking with it wasn't going to drop it. Thankfully, they were professional and managed not to.

All in all, it was a cool experience, and I think a lot of stars could learn from her down-to-earth attitude. Yay, Kelly.

Now, if only someone could help with her style a little bit.



Moving on...

Partying with Duran Duran. Always cool, as I'm sure you can imagine. However, this time was particularly special. It was not only their manager's birthday (Birthday shout out to Paul! Woo!!) but it was also Andy Taylor's Wedding Anniversary. There was just a different vibe than there was in say... Philly in April. Not to mention the fact that Simon LeBon was in rare form. At one point he was in our booth teaching a girl how to swim. Classic stuff. I brought some friends with me this time and I know they had one of the best nights ever, so that makes me happy, too! Nick Rhodes unfortunately hauled ass out of AC as soon as he had the chance, so he didn't grace us with his presence, (which is a shame because he's the BEST) but it was a great night all the same. As far as I'm concerned, all nights should come complete with drunken embrace from one of your favourite singers and your dog's namesake...



Would have been better if he'd been wearing this though...



Anyway, after this stellar evening, I headed to Tom's River to meet up with the Kelly tour again. It was only once I got there that I realized I didn't have my camera that held the above photo (the hug one, not the short-shorts one). My friends called the hotel and thankfully, the chambermaid found it in the sheets (???) and they were kind enough to send it back to me free of charge. Thanks, Bally's!

Tom's River Fest was slightly more impressive than I thought it was going to be. Definitely a step above Bethlehem PA's "Musikfest" in 2000. While the stages were set on little more than dirt fields, there was tons of cool stands and stuff, and even carnival rides. Plus, some of the best cheese fries ever. As if all that wasn't enough, I caught the tail end of Jesse McCartney's show (He wants you, and you're beautiful!). Plus, the sound was about a trillion times better than the sound in Borgata Event Center, so Kelly's show was better, too. But we've already talked about Kelly, haven't we??

So now I'm getting long-winded. What else did I want to talk about? Ahh yes, David Gray.

Awesome, awesome, awesome show. Stellar performance. It didn't even really bother me that most of the stuff he was playing was from his new CD, which I don't have the pleasure of owning yet. Normally it totally bums me out to be at a show and not know what I'm listening to, but David and his band were certainly the exception to the rule. They rocked. Big fat BOOO that he didn't play "Babylon" but because the rest of the show was so good, I think I'll let him off. He was so into it and his band was fabulous. Plus, the keyboardist looked a lot like Jim Gaffigan from where I was sitting, which made me smile. :-) Unfortunately, none of my pictures from that show came out, so you'll just have to take my word for it!

I've also driven quite a bit this week (gasp!) which, for those of you who know me, know how unheard of that is. I've gotten SO much better in the car, it's amazing. I used to be one of those people who was like an old lady out on a Sunday drive. You know, the kind that wait until there's not a car in sight for 12 miles before they pull out onto the road? Yeah, that was me. Not anymore, folks. Fasten your seatbelts, kids! Marnie's on the loose!

Anyway folks, that's where I've been. That's what I've seen. I hoped you enjoyed hearing about it as much as I enjoyed experiencing it. You'll be happy to know that I won't be leaving you for another extended period of time until the 23rd. That's right, you've got me non-stop for the next two weeks. Let's pick up where the snark left off!

One More For the Duranies...

I figured you guys might want to take a quick peek at John Taylor's (rather flat) booty up close!

No comments: