Friday, September 02, 2005

Like Clay in His Hands

So... I went to see Clay Aiken last night. Is it wrong that I nearly burst into tears during his rendition of Barry Manilow's "Mandy"?

(No, really. I was moved to tears for Christ's sake!! Damn you, Clay!!).

I know I'm biased because I plan on bearing his children one day and all, but this was seriously one of the best shows I've been to ever. (Even better than this made it look!)

It was a "jukebox" theme, so rather than doing all of his songs and calling it a night, my boy went on for THREE HOURS singing songs from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80''s, 90's, and today. There were costume changes aplenty, and his 3 backup singers sang a few solos (which I was annoyed about at first, but they really earned their keep and grew on me!). It was actually more like a "show" than a "concert." It was also the only concert I've ever been to that had a 20 minute intermission!

He sang SO many good songs. I searched everywhere for a setlist, but to no avail. It was something like 100 songs though (many in medley form, but still). He sang "When Doves Cry" for God's sake!

Hot, right?

No? Okay. Well... then fine. More for me.

Anyway, I couldn't even begin to pick a fave of the night, but I will say that he TORE IT UP with "Suspicious Minds" by Elvis, And, of course, being the self proclaimed "Queen of the 80's" I was going NUTS during that whole portion. Rick Astley? Christopher Cross? Lionel Richie? PRINCE? All in one night? That's what I'm talking about. I probably went the most nuts during "Invisible" though. It was a Clay Aiken concert after all. I was totally rocking out during that one. No shame here. ;-)

His new songs were SOO good too!! Everyone had glow sticks during them and they were moving them in unison. I cannot wait to get that CD! I was probably one of the youngest people there, but it was still a pretty damn good crowd!! I couldn't have found a nicer person to sit next to either!! She even found two empty seats in the front row and cared enough to come back and get me! Our seats were only 4 rows back, but it was still that much better! Shout out to Marie!

There was tons of interaction with the audience and my boy was funny and witty. I would start quoting stuff, but I fear it'd all end with me laughing alone and saying "You had to be there."

Anyway say what you want... but Clay's voice is amazing. He's one of the only artists that actually makes me weak in the knees when he sings.

If that makes me sound juvenile, so be it. :-)

On the way out, I noticed a parked car had the license plate "CLAY AKIN" and a stick that said "fan" next to it. I was going to take a pic, but I would have lost my spot in the taxi line. It was funny though. :-)

Anyway, that's my review. Pictures (God willing) will be coming soon. I know you can hardly wait. :-)

And I think you'll all be happy to know that in all my ridiculousness, I still never got this... even if it IS "great for managing allowances"! I still have my dignity.

Well... some of it.

No comments: