Saturday, October 01, 2005

Beat It, Spammers

This post is just to let everyone know that I've implemented a "word verification" system in the comments section. This basically means that if you want to leave a comment, you'll have to do one of those word verification things like on Ticketmaster. This is an effort to stop the spam comments that I've been so inundated with lately. No big deal really, you just have to type in a word you see in a box before the comment can be left.



At first I was just going to deal with the spams by deleting them, but after I wrote a serious and sincere post about the loss of a friend's beloved dog, and immediately received a "check out my site for full body hair removal" comment, I started to consider just giving up. Just now I posted another serious and genuine note about a dear injured friend and I get a spam about starting a home business. Um... no thanks.

The fact that the messages show up so quickly obviously means it's an automated program, so no message to the spammers or anything is going to stop it. I'm sure no one really cares one way or the other about this, but I thought I'd let you know.

In addition to leaving comments, if you'd like to give me some feedback about the site, feel free to email me!

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience.

No comments: