Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Even Vegetarians Can Eat Crow

Okay, I speculated last night (and once before) that the American Idols singing Rod Stewart's versions of the "old standards" was going to suck.

I was SO wrong.

What a fantastic show! I wanted to write this last night, but the conscientious side of me knew that I had to get up in the morning and put it off. Better late than never, I suppose.

That was definitely the best Idol episode ever. Like... of all 5 seasons. I spent the entire day yapping about it to my co-workers. I had no idea the critics were saying the same. Sure, I might be slightly biased with the Rod thing and all, but really, the Idols themselves were superb! Even Ace, whom I'm normally wholly unimpressed by, did a great job. However, as I find often happens on the show, after weeks of sucking, just when someone finally does well is when they finally get voted off (I'm looking at you Sway Penala and Kevin Covais!) and that was the case with Mr. Young. Not overly sorry to see him go, but it's a shame that the week he stepped it up had to be the week.

But anyway, back to Rod.

How funny and charming was he? It reminded me of the days when I would come home from school and watch videos of him for hours (one of which, appropriately titled "The Rod Stewart Concert Video" was the one that they showed most of the footage from last night) and dream of the day we would be married.

And does he have the cutest baby in the world, or what? Don't even try it, Suri Cruise, you're no match for little Alastair!

So yeah, anyway, great night. I still contend that a show full of true Rod stuff would have been awesome, but according to tonight, we'll get that next year, and I can wait. Right now I'm quite content to revel in this week's magnificence.

The only thing that would have made it better is if Paris was the one to go. I know, I know. Great singer... whatever. If you ask me, a little humility goes a LONG way. Someone should tell her that. In fact, someone should tell everyone named Paris that.

No comments: