Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Smartest Dog in the Universe

So we all know how cute Simon is.



But I don't think any of us, myself included, knew just how ridiculously intelligent he is. Earlier tonight, he made it abundantly clear.

Whenever Simon takes his medication (be it for allergies, his recent bum back leg, or whatever) the pills have to be hidden in some sort of tasty morsel of food. I don't like to even touch meat so my mom was giving him his pill today in a pork nugget (It's Shake and Bake, and I helped!) and 2 or 3 times in a row, he managed to eat the treat, but drop the pill on the floor.

My mom quickly got fed up and began yelling. Simon ran under the kitchen table and she said "You better hide!!". She picked the pill off the floor, threw it into his bowl, and went into the living room.

A minute later, Simon walked into the living room and my mom said "You're bad!". Then, with a guilty look on his face, he walks over and stands in front of my mom, opens his mouth, and the pill falls to the floor (which, if you're following the story closely, means he went to his bowl and got it).

Then he ate the pill.

So to reiterate...

Simon got yelled at for avoiding his medicine, had the capacity to realize why he was being reprimanded, retrieved the pill from his bowl where he watched my mom throw it, brought it out and SPECIFICALLY MADE SURE SHE SAW IT, and then ate it. Neither of us could believe it. Of course we were all "Good boy!!" and stuff, so he wagged his tail and jumped up and hugged my mom as if to say "You're not mad anymore, right?"

Tell me that's not amazing?

No comments: