Sunday, November 05, 2006

Spooktacular II

Finally.

I was going to call this post "Hallowonderful" or "Hallowacky" or something equally retarded, but I opted to instead be boring and bite off of last year's post title. Best to keep things uniform, I always say.

Anyway, this Halloween was actually not too dissimilar from last year, in that I once again headed to New York for some drunken, costumed festivities. And while I wasn't quite as enamoured of my own costume this year as I was last year, a jolly good time was still had by all!

I dressed as a cavewoman this year, inspired by some cheap (faux) fur yeti boots that I saw on Ebay. I was going to dress as Orphan Annie, but the store-bought costumes were very matronly looking, and I couldn't be bothered to make one myself. So cavewoman it was. I wasn't totally useless on the creative front this year though. Michelle had the brilliant idea of being an 80's prom queen and, in her own words, "Had no idea where to begin" as far as the props, so I stepped up and made her a hot sash and completely cheesy corsage.


Brings me back to my high school days.


Almost as awkward as a real prom picture.


Jordan, whom you may remember as last year's Dorothy, decided at the last minute to dress up as well (and I'm talking LAST minute. Like, we were already dressed and about to leave and she ran upstairs and threw something together) which was so worth it because her costume was great. She was her "nana, circa 1971" complete with nana's actual multi-hued catsuit.


That's a one-piece, wide-legged pantsuit, folks. SO fab.

Michelle's main squeeze, Matt, busted out the old stand-by Jailbird costume, which lead to the sordid (yet amusing) backstory of him soliciting the teen prom queen, thus landing him some time in the slammer. How sweet.


All we're missing is the backdrop with the silk roses and styrofoam pillar.

After we took these shots, Michelle, Matt, and I split from Jordan for a bit to head to a party at the apartment of Matt's friends, who, ironically, happened to be dressed as a Homecoming King and Queen. Michelle jumped on the chance to get an even more authentic-looking cheesy pic:


And yes, 2 party poopers in the back were NOT in costume. Boo!! (no pun intended)

A few drinks later, we gathered ourselves up and headed out to meet up with Katie, who dressed as an adorable "St. Pauli Girl." Unfortch, the bar/restaurant/whatevs had a ridiculous line outside (not to mentch, a $20 cover) so we opted out and headed to a place called the Rogue, to reuinted with Jordan, as well as Heather and Joe (last year's surgeon and 80's girl) for more alcohol-related fun.


"Nana, circa 1971"


No costumes for Heather and Joe either, but they had an excuse so I won't call them party poopers!




Now, I have to say, you know it's going to be a good night when you show up and your 2 Irish bartenders are dressed as Paris and Nicky Hilton.


And are enjoying it WAAAAAAAAY too much.


Paris wishes she looked this good.


I predict this will be what Nicky really looks like by 30.


The 5 o'clock shadow is what really adds to the authenticity.


Like I said -- enjoying this WAY too much.

That's not to say I wasn't enjoying it, mind you!


It's not a good picture if you don't have to climb on the bar for it.


Now that's just money.


Because you have to see it from every angle, right?


We can't forget to give Nicky some lovin'.

Back on Earth...


Totally cute group shot. My bone SO did not want to stay in place!

Speaking of costumes not wanting to stay in place, the sash I laboured so hard over didn't quite stay together as well as I'd hoped. Michelle almost became the "PR M QUEEN", but due to our ingenuity (and a pen we borrowed from the taxi driver), she managed to escape that fate.


PROM QUEEN


It wasn't long before St. Pauli Girl showed up to liven things up even more!


How much do I love Rick James in the background of this picture? He's totally posing.


PROM QUEEN and St. Pauli Katie.


Of course, it's not long before we turn it into something dirty.


This should go in their wedding album.


By the end of the night, not only is my hair bone askew, but my "multiple tooth choker" (that's totally what it said on the package) is stabbing me in the jugular.

We had SUCH a good time at this place. Really cool, laid-back atmosphere and nice crowd. Hardly anyone even laughed when Michelle wound up arse-over-tit on the floor after her stool slid out from behind her. As Joe so kindly put it "Just call her Mary Katherine Gallagher!"


Luckily St. Pauli Katie was there to kiss her wounds.

And thus concluded an awesome night.
Jordan and Michelle

Paris Table Dancing

Beautiful Paris

Superstar for sure

Heather and Jordan

Jordan and Michelle

Heather et moi

Michelle, Heather, and me

Michelle and Matt

Michelle and Katie

Michelle

Katie

But the Halloween fun totally did not end there!!!

On Sunday, we all headed down to Tompkins Square Park for the 16th Annual Halloween Dog Parade, which had been rained out the day before. But seriously -- dogs in costumes. You know I was in heaven!

Please behold the genius!


This is one I took of a maltese (?) with a headless horseman on his back. Look closely and you'll be able to make it out. The pic totally doesn't do it justice because when the dog moved, the horseman's arm went up and down, waving the sword. SO cute. And yes, he's got the head in his mouth. And yes, that's Oscar the Grouch next to him. And yes, it's awesome.


Here's a better angle from JohnnyKiwi's Flickr page...

He must have gotten sick of holding the head!

I didn't take any more pictures for myself, but lucky Flickr has tons. Do yourself a favour. Go there and type "Halloween Dog". I promise you won't be disappointed. In the meantime, here are some of my faves from some really nice peeps that I said I could use them. Many thanks!

More from JohnnyKiwi...


A Poop Factory, folks. A Poop Factory.


Mario, Luigi, Princess, and what would be a mushroom, if the dog didn't keep knocking the hat off. Not sure if that's Koopa next to them, but that would be awesome.


Here he is with the hat!


Canines of the Carribean. Somebody took a lot of time to do this!


One of my absolute faves of the day. Just look at that face! Oh, and FYI, he totes had some more fluff attached to his tail with packaging tape!


A Fire Hydrant. There was a dachshund running around with this same costume, only his headpiece kept ending up hanging under his chin.


This little guy pretty much singlehandedly got me over my hatred of spiders.


Totally knew someone had to come as an iPod!


The ass-end of a MetroCard Turnstile, and a couple of Sumo Wrestling Pugs. Will you please look at the wigs, for the love of God?


And again. The WIGS, people.


Boston Terriers are so punk.


Here he is again. Just 'cause I love him.


CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!!


I don't even know if this guy was there, but how can I not include him?
Photo by Gwen.

Some great ones from the lovely JouJouBee...


This Indian Chief rocked.


Check out the tongue action on the skunk!


Milk does a doggy good!


Scary, scary ghost!


Howdy!




You knew it was going to be a big year for pirates!


It's not easy taking pics of dogs because they're always moving, but JouJouBee... really did well!!

Superterrific also got some great ones...


You are SO saying "Awwwww" right now. Don't lie.


3-Headed Boston Terriers are better than one.


Cutest Miss Piggy EVER.


There were tons of lobsters, but I think this one pretty much takes the cake.


This Chow looks better than I did as Wonder Woman a few years ago.


Nicole Richie?


Okay -- I fell in LOVE with this one. He was definitely one of my favourites in the history of dogs in costumes!

I was totally loving Mosurades pics, and he was very nice about letting me post them! Check them out below, and please be sure to check out his website here for even more to make you smile!


May the force be with you.


Willie Nelson!!!!


And they say unicorns are a myth.


I don't doubt that this adorable baby pooped his diaper!


This little guy ran around for about 30 minutes with a stick in his mouth, while about 10 other little dogs chased him!


This little piggy... is so cute.


It's MR.T!!!!! (It even said "I pity the fool!" on his back!)


Dunna-nunna-Nunna-nunna BAT DOG!!!!


I love this dog for tolerating this!


It's the wigs again!!!!!!!!!!!

There was even a Chinese Food Trio!!!!






(takeout menu pic by mysuspira)

And in keeping with the Chinese theme...


Loves it.

Unfortunately, some of my very favourites aren't featured here. The dachshund with dollars shoved in his thong. The chihuahua dressed as a bag of E Coli Spinach. The Flavor Flav dog. The list goes on and on!

Oh yeah, and sadly, this cutie wasn't at the parade...


But I sure wish she was.

It was such a good time and I can't wait to take Simon next year!

All in all, Halloween '06 was really, really great! See you next year. :-)

1 comment:

gwen said...

The little lucha guy I shot was not at the Tompkins Square Park Howloween, he was here in Alameda CA [across the bay from San Francisco]. Ours wasn't *quite* as big as yours, but then, we're not New York. The dogs are just as cute though ;)