Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Man Who Made Me Vegetarian

Because I can never blog about anything right after it happens, I think now would be a good time to talk about the Morrissey shows I went to a few weeks ago.

As I've mentioned approximately 4,792,571 times on this site, I worked for Morrissey during the You Are the Quarry tour, and it was pretty much the best thing ever. Aside from being so much fun and meeting so many cool people, it also ultimately turned me vegetarian, so mad props to Moz for that one.

Anyway, I hadn't seen Morrissey or his band since December of '04 so I was happy to hear he'd be coming around. After a glitch here and there, he finally managed to make it to Philly and Atlantic City. New York was canceled, but two out of three ain't bad.

When I got to the Mann Center in Philly, I ran into my beloved Ginge, whom I met backstage at Radio City in '04, and subsequently traveled throughout England and Ireland with during the last legs of the Quarry tour. We caught up and had a drink or two before the show, then settled in for all that Morrissey goodness that we've come to know and love.

The show itself, as usual, was great. While nothing will ever top the second night at Earl's court 2 and a half years ago, I was not disappointed. I had a fantastic seat, which only got better after I jumped the barrier into the pit. Morrissey had said something like "Did you know that if you fill in this empty space here (between the pit and the orchestra) the city of Philadelphia will blow up?" It was actually much more drawn out and dramatic than that, Moz-style, but it was funny, and it afforded me the opportunity to run up to the front. So yay.

After the show, courtesy of the lovely Arturo, I went to the afterparty, where I got to catch up with my old friends. The adorable Mikey, whom you've read about on here before, and the hilarious Boz. Deano and Gary aren't on this tour, and I didn't get to see Jesse, but Mikey and Boz are more than enough because they're awesome in every way.



We weren't back there very long before the band had to go, but it was long enough for me to decide that I was definitely going to the AC show the following night.

I headed down to AC after work and kind of just walked around the Borgata getting sufficiently sauced whilst waiting for Ginge and my new friend Marisa to arrive. While I was waiting, a guy walked up and just handed me a ticket, which was hilarious. I tried to give it back to him but he just kept saying "Nah, I can't even give it away. Just take it."

Ginge says he wishes he had my luck.

We got a few drinks in the Borgata's Gypsy Bar before heading into the show.

Once again the show was great, and that has nothing to do with the fact that I was three sheets to the wind. Afterwards we got some food while we waited for Boz to have "a meeting with Morrissey" before meeting us in Gypsy Bar for a few drinks.

Once in Gypsy Bar, Boz got the biggest Appletini I've ever seen and it was really good, so I followed suit. Of course mine wasn't near as good. I guess it's because I'm not famous.


Ginge wishes he had my luck, but I'll bet he's glad he doesn't have my double chin.


Right after this shot was taken, I asked Boz what he thought I was going to blow on the Breathalizer on the way home.


He took this shot of himself. Always the comedian!

Shortly thereafter, Boz was dragged away by Morrissey's assistant so they could head to the airport (boo!). It was probably for the best though because I needed a little time to sober up before making the trek home!





All in all, it was great to see everyone and Morrissey didn't disappoint (well, maybe a little when he didn't play "There is a Light" but that's a whole different story).

As an addendum, I was at the Mann Center again last night to see Crowded House, and I could hear a nearby security guard saying to someone "We had a guy here a few weeks ago who was a vegetarian, so he said there was to be no hamburgers or hot dogs. Then everyone was running up on the stage and we were throwing people left and right. And he was encouraging it!"

That's our Moz. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is not a large orange monkey fyi,its a Golden Lion Tamarin ^_^ dont worry,most people dont know what it is